wi-fi suggestions

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Sat Jun 26 12:03:09 UTC 2010

 Hi!

On 25/06/2010 21:13, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 06/25/2010 01:30 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Then people started hacking them... in particular
>> with drivers for the WiFi stack that could be configured to go beyond
>> the 42mW that most countries accept as the maximum for WiFi. They can
>> easily be driven to 100mW (and 200mW if you aren't afraid of burning the
>> power transistors of the beast).
> I've seen some run full power, 250mW, for months on end with no problems.

Sure. And usually it will work. Unless for some reason the machine isn't
well ventilated or it is hit by direct sunlight.

Mine run at 100mW, but I have 7dB antenas which help a lot too. :)

Every 3dB means 2x the power. 7dB is over 4x the transmission power, so
equivalent to over 400mW... but also improves the reception gain by the
same factor. And last-stage transistors never risk overheating.

Gilles.