wi-fi suggestions

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jun 25 18:30:23 UTC 2010

Albert Wagner wrote:
> I have never been wireless before, but am exploring wireless routers.
> So far,
>
> Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router (Compatible with
> Linux)
>
> seems OK for me.  Does anyone know just what "Compatible with Linux"
> means for this product?

It means that you can install your own Linux based firmware on it, like
openwrt, dd-wrt, etc.

However you may also have a look at other newer devices like the TP-link
TL-WR1043ND which is also Linux compatible, i.e. there is an openwrt
firmware available. But that one can operate with the faster 802.11n
standard (300 MBit/s). It also has a USB port where you can connect an
external harddisk to share files over your LAN.

Nils