Easy Way To Upgrade Kernel ?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:53:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2010 22:40, Jesse Palser <slnthero at aol.com> wrote:
>> Easy Way To Upgrade Kernel ?
>>
>> Can someone tell me or provide a link to
>> an easy method to upgrade the kernel
>> on my Ubuntu 10.04 Linux 32bit Operating System?
>>
>> I need to upgrade the kernel to the current Release Candidate
>> as it provides better support for the 3g modem in my netbook.
>>
>> Currently running the default Kernel Linux 2.6.32-22-generic
>> and wish to install newest "v2.6.35-rc3-maverick".
>>
>> Also is it safe to do this on a computer I use everyday?
>> And what will happen when the next official kernel is released?
>> (will v2.6.35-rc3-maverick kernel be replaced by an older official one?)
>
> This is not a direct answer but may be helpful.
>
> I have not done this in some years - probably since Ubuntu 5.x or 6.x
> - but when I needed a newer kernel, I just downloaded the sources from
> kernel.org and built my own. This was pretty straightforward - there
> are TONS of HOWTOs out there, doing this used to be a routine task on
> Linux in the 1990s - and it worked fine.
>
> I think that would be easier than trying to install just 1 package
> from a different release of the distro.

Installing one package would definitely be simpler!

Either by downloading the desired deb from your preferred repository
from "ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/" and running "dpkg --install ....deb"
or by using apt-pinning where you would set the three lucid targets at
800 and maverick at -1 and running "aptitude install --target-release
maverick linux-image linux-image-generic"