Need network advice

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 15:21:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Chuck Kuecker <ckuecker at ckent.org> wrote:
> If I redirect port 8080 to the device's port 80, anyone accessing the
> device has to specify port 8080 in their web browser, correct?

Correct.  I meant to mention that in my earlier post.  Your customer
should be able to browse to chuck.com:8080/this/that and it will show
up on the device at port 80 (assuming you set up your router).

If that causes angst for you or your customer, I can think of only 2
other options for you (although I'm sure there are more than 2
options).

1) Change your personal web site to port 8080 and route port 80 to
your customer's device.

2) Obtain another static IP address from your ISP.  I'm not sure
if/how well/ your ISP/router will be able to deal with this.

Hmmm.... I just came up with a 3rd possibility, which is outside my
realm of expertise.  Perhaps you could just obtain a new domainname
for your customer's device and configure apache to
redirect/pipe/tunnel/proxy to the device.  I don't know anything about
apache configuration, so I'm way out of my league here.

--wpd