ftpd and sshd?

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Fri Jun 25 13:32:33 UTC 2010

On Jun 25, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 15:57,  <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:
>> OK, I don't need a mission critical server for my students.  So, I
>> think that I will set up my new quad-core Xeon box with Ubuntu 10.04
>> 32bit (not server) like I did my students's boxes.
>
> Why not use 64-bit?  New Xeon CPUs should be usable as such?
>
> -Tom
>
> Thomas M. Browder, Jr.

I tried the 64bit CD and it would not boot.  This must be a hand-me-
down box with the older Xeon chip.

However, this is an intel chip, is their 64bit arch different?  When I
installed Ubuntu on my 64bit Athlons it looked like amd64 packages
were being installed.  Is there another Ubuntu install CD I am not
aware of for intel 64bit boxes?

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS