Can't shutdown or logout

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:28:36 UTC 2010

On 24 June 2010 18:35, Henry Dubb <henry.dubb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM, user1 <bqz69 at telia.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:37:16 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone met this one?
>> >
>> > My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
>> > internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu 10.04.
>> > Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live with that.)
>> >
>> > The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or shut
>> > down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>

> Had this problem when 10.04 first came out, but updates in Mint 9 took care
> of it. I noticed that lock screen would allow me to shut down, reboot etc.

A different glitch has got me there. I am running dual monitors on my
Thinkpad X31 - builtin 1024×768 + external 1280×1024. I have had to
drop down to 16-bit colour to do this, which was an hour or so's
exercise in itself.

But now, the dialog on the lock screen is invisible. This threw me at
first, but I've found it *is* still there - I can type my password
"blind" and it works - but not even a shadow is visible. There is a
weird flickering shimmy if I type the wrong password, though. A bit
like a Predator stealth suit in the movies. :-)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508