Can't shutdown or logout

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:18:57 UTC 2010

On 24 June 2010 18:21, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2010 17:37, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone met this one?
>>
>> My laptop is functioning perfectly, with a desktop spread across its
>> internal & an external monitor. (Mint 9, which is to say, Ubuntu
>> 10.04. Suspend or hibernate and resume doesn't work but I can live
>> with that.)
>>
>> The only snag is, it completely ignores me when I try to log out or
>> shut down. Nothing happens, no error, zero.
>>
>> Any pointers at where to look for more info? Does the GNOME shell log
>> stuff like this anywhere I can look at?
>
> It won't necessarily help get the normal shutdown working, but if you
> open a terminal you can force a shutdown by
> sudo shutdown -h now

Thanks for that. I did think of that one, actually, although what I've
actually been doing is either using Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc to kill the X
server then shutting down from the login screen (which works) or
flipping to a Vconsole with Ctrl-Alt-2 and hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del.

But it does mean that sometimes I'm getting the message on bootup
about needing to do a disk check, which is a bit irritating.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508