[Installing Java] Re: Installation Doubts by Beginner

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 03:02:07 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 04:57 PM, Daniel Ram wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to install Java in my computer, but when I try to run "rpm"
> command, the system ask me to use alien.
> How can I use alien? I've installed it, but I'm not sure what it is..
> ;-( .. yet! ... The same for Debian (Is Debian a project, isn't?)

I think you'll find these helpful. Please bookmark them & read/refer to
them when you need help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions

No, I'm not stating RTFM/RTM, I'm simply providing you with links that
you should review & keep handy when you encounter a situation like this.
Admittedly some of the pages are outdated, but https://help.ubuntu.com/
is your friend (that along with your favorate search engine using
'ubuntu +<whateverissueyou'relookingfor> & you can also use the
searchbar in https://help.ubuntu.com/ in the same way that you use
Google (it's a Google search engine on the pages).

Here are a few more links that you might find helpful:
http://ubuntu-manual.org/
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

Regarding installing Java; it depends upon which java you wish to
install & what you intend to use it for. It appears that you are
attempting to install the standard sun (now Oracle) java, so I'd follow
Pete's advise and just use the 'Software Center' method that he's
provided. If you have problems with that, then post back & we'll try to
help further.