Creating a RAID 1 from existing drive

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 15:50:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Eric Dannewitz <ericdano at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Ubuntu server that has one HD in it right now. I just obtained
> another drive that is exactly the same (manufactor/size/model). Is it
> possible to mirror the existing drive with this one? If so, how? Do I need
> to reformat anything?
> --

I have used this guide many times with a lot of success:

http://www.tolaris.com/2008/10/01/moving-your-linux-root-partition-to-raid/

It is pretty much your exact situation, moving from a single disk to a
two disk RAID 1 setup.  A general overview is you setup a degraded
RAID 1 array on your new disk, copy everything over there, boot to the
new RAID 1 disk, then once everything looks good, make the
old/original disk part of the RAID 1 array.

Preston