fyi: Dan Gilmore: This Mac devotee is moving to Linux

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jun 24 10:26:39 UTC 2010

> 3. Unless I have misunderstood you, you seem to be claiming that
> running OS X means that you are running Linux, which is a pretty
> bizarre assertion. OS X has a BSDish kernel, bash, X, and many other
> nix features so it is a nix like Linux but not Linux.

Actually, it goes a bit farther than just nix like Linux.

Mac OS X is a UNIX operating system. At least, from Leopard onwards. It
is therefore decidedly NOT GNU/Linux just as GNU/Linux is not UNIX, just
UNIX like. Linux is the 'imitation' here although these days the
imitation is making circles around the real deal, at least outside of
the big systems if not when speaking of supercomputers and mainframes.