10.04 desktop RAID 10 install?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 07:02:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 02:00 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
>> The problem with grub-devicemap is that it will associate sda1 with
>> hd0 and sda2 with hd1 so, if sda1 fails the system will not boot.
>>
>> Going back to my previous email, it might be better to create a
>> different device.map and run grub-install with
>> "--grub-mkdevicemap=/path/to/customdevivemap".
>
> Okay, Tom, I'll leave here but this looks promising......
> http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID

I meant to mention this in an earlier email and forgot.

For grub2, it might not be necessary to install grub onto sda and sdb
because of the modular system.

So you could theoretically just run "grub-install '(md0)'" and use
"insmod raid" and/or "insmod mdraid" in grub.cfg but I have not tried
it. "inmod lvm" works perfectly for an lvm'd /boot so the raid/mdraid
insmod might work too.