10.04 desktop RAID 10 install?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jun 24 02:06:58 UTC 2010

On Thursday, June 24, 2010 09:46 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> Make sure your boot is non-mdadm'd or RAID1.
>
> yeah, I'd read that somewhere.
>
> So I ahve it working.  I have a 512M RAID1 layed across all 4 disks
> (though looks like mdadm only took the first 3 of them but I don't
> care).  Then 2G swap part on each of the 4 disks.  Then the rest of
> the 1T goes to a RAID10
>
> It is running and working great.  The only thing I am having trouble
> with is grub.   It works mind you.  But one of the articles I'd read
> said basically when doing the RAID1 approach for /boot, to make sure
> the boot loader is installed on all of the disks in the RAID1.  And
> damned if I know how to do that.  Been reading man pages and checking
> google and still nothing.

Yes, it is the installer's job to make sure grub gets installed
properly. RHEL5/Centos5's anaconda gets that part right.

But then that was with grub. Lucid uses grub2 by default and I am not
sure what the status is with grub2 and the Ubuntu installer. If you have
time, shutdown, pull out/disconnect the first disk and then see if your
box will boot up. If it won't, then it is time to reinstall grub2 on the
other disks.