fyi: Dan Gilmore: This Mac devotee is moving to Linux

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 19:22:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Calcpage <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 1:47 PM, =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This Mac devotee is moving to Linux
>> Seeking real freedom of choice in a technology ecosystem where
>> vendors are
>> exerting more and more control
>> By Dan Gillmor
>> <http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/06/20/from_mac_to_linux/
>
> You've to the right place, welcome!
>
> Let's face it, there's no such thing as s mac anymore anyway.  They
> used to have their own processor, now it's intel!  They used to have
> their own OS, no it's BSD Linux!  So, u get the best of both worlds
> running Linux on a PC. It's still an intel box running Linux, without
> all the dictators!

1. I hope that you realize that the OP isn't the one moving to Linux.

2. There's no such thing as BSD Linux (unless you count the Debian
version that uses a FreeBSD kernel). OS X uses a XNU kernel, which is
a hybrid between a Mach micro-kernel and a FreeBSD kernel.

3. Unless I have misunderstood you, you seem to be claiming that
running OS X means that you are running Linux, which is a pretty
bizarre assertion. OS X has a BSDish kernel, bash, X, and many other
nix features so it is a nix like Linux but not Linux.