LEMP Development Server

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Jun 23 14:50:59 UTC 2010

Verde Denim wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>
>     Verde Denim wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Christopher Chan
>      > <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
>     <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>
>      > <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
>     <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     On Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:37 AM, GNUbie wrote:
>      >      > Hello Christopher,
>      >      >
>      >      > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Christopher Chan
>      >      > <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
>     <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>
>      >     <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
>     <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>>>  wrote:
>      >      >> On Wednesday, June 23, 2010 08:56 AM, GNUbie wrote:
>      >      >>> Hello all,
>      >      >>>
>      >      >>> I am seeking an advice on the best way to setup a LEMP
>     development
>      >      >>> server. The web service is OK already since all the
>     users will have
>      >      >>> its own UserDir directive. My only remaining problem is
>     on how
>      >     I can
>      >      >>> give an administrative privileges on the MySQL server to all
>      >     the users
>      >      >>> that will not affect other users.
>      >      >>
>      >      >> Why would your users need 'administrative privileges'? Do
>     they
>      >     need to
>      >      >> be able to add mysql users? If not, just give them full
>      >     permissions to
>      >      >> their own databases.
>      >      >
>      >      > I want to give the users their own "UserDir" or "virtual
>     hosted" kind
>      >      > of MySQL (if that's possible) so that if they wanted to
>     create a
>      >      > database, add users, etc, they can do it on their own.
>      >
>      >     Run multiple instances then...
>      >
>      >
>      > Or, you could set up virtual machines with mysql for each user as
>     well.
>      > at least there's some separation there in the chance that one of them
>      > does something _unexpected_ .
>
>     Multiple instances are separated...what do you think instance means?
>
>     Each instance would have its own database
>     directory..../var/lib/mysql/user1 /var/lib/mysql/user2
>
>     No need to create whole VM's just for another mysql instance
>
> Nope - setup as many instances on the same system as you like. I'm an
> idiot. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, I would not say that you are an idiot. You could say the OP was
better off giving each of his users their own VM you know...

> Integrity of the data and security couldn't possibly be issues with this
> setup.

Nope. He would just have to have enough free ports (assuming he will
allow remote connections) with multiple instances or enough free ips if
they are all to use the same port 3306 (again assuming he will allow
remote connections). Either way, he gets to solve the problem of how to
configure things so that each user will connect to the correct mysql
instance whether by unix socket path or by inet socket path.