Video/Display resolution issue

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 11:15:31 UTC 2010

On 23/06/10 17:58, chris wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 16:10 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 21/06/10 11:24, chris wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have an irritating issue with screen resolution in Ubuntu 10.4
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> I have similar hassle with my 1920x1080 Viewsonic if I don't install the
>> latest nVidia driver for my video card; install the 'proppa' driver and
>> then I'm at the native resolution.
>>
>> BC
>>

>> --
>> Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.
>>
> Indeed, the question is am I paranoid enough!
>
> Thanks Basil,
> I am planning on installing the fglrx driver tonight, which takes all
> night by modem.
> However as an update, I put in a new hard drive, as the old one was
> getting very noisy and running hot.
> The took the kvm switch out of the loop and did a complete fresh
> install.
> Bingo everything fine, except the screen is not quite as sharp as I
> would like with word processors etc.

This is another issue to your original.

The clarity of the text is determined not only by the 'proppa'
driver/resolution of your monitor but also if you have anti-aliasing
activated in your setup, not to mention the font which you are using.
There are fonts which are specifically designed to be used on monitors
and those for use in printing (hard copy). I use the DeJaVu fonts as
well as Verdana; but after setting the anti-aliasing it would pay you to
try out the variety of available fonts to see which one(s) suit your
preferences.

BC

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.