Proper way install GNOME into KUbuntu 10.4 system - avoiding configuration conflicts? ; jor

Pete Vander Giessen petevg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 23:41:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM, giovanni_re <john_re at fastmail.us> wrote:
> Particularly, I'm thinking XOrg settings are likely candidates for conflict.  But, perhaps there are others that could cause problems too.

Technically, Gnome and KDE are both desktop environments that run on
top of X Windows.  If you've got a problem that is rooted in your XOrg
conf, the problem _should_ affect both Gnome and KDE.  And if you
install Gnome, it should not interfere with your KDE settings at the
level of X Windows.

Since Gnome is basically a bundle of software, it _will_ add a lot of
entries in your main menu.  You'll have, for example Kedit _and_ gedit
available as text editors.  And the Gnome launcher icons end up
looking kind of out of place in your KDE menu.  But that's more of a
clutter/aesthetic issue than one with settings (albeit one that drove
me and my OCD mildly batty back when I ran both environments side by
side).

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde