Video Display/Resolution Issue part 2 :)

chris chevhq at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 20:46:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 08:04 -0400, Ray Leventhal wrote:
> I have a similar issue to chris'.  So as to not be of thread hijacking,
> I've started a new one :)
>
> Since we're on video / Lucid / K V M Switch stuff:
>
> My system is connected to a digital keyboard/video/mouse switch as I run
> 2 systems on dissimilar networks.  If I'm on the 'other' box when I boot
> my Lucid box, I get 640x480.  Simple workaround is log out and log back
> in, all good.  No resolution issues when I'm looking at Lucid when it boots.
>
> I know that Lucid is doing runtime video config as opposed to using a
> static config file (old-school) and I assume that my resolution would be
> just fine if I had one (static config).
>
> So question 1 becomes: is that true?  If I have a static X11 config file
> would that fix my problem.
>
> If so, question 2 is: How would I go about finding out the runtime
> settings that I like so as to create one?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> -Ray

Hi Ray,
Yes but it is an irritation, as I have not been able to get the
resolution above 1200 something.
However, as an update.
I reinstalled 10.4 (alternative) after removing the kvm switch from the
system
10.4 picked up the edid information from the monitor etc and
automagically set the default reolution etc.
>From another list , the local NZ Clug list I was sent a generic
xorg.conf file to put the preffered mode into

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "DVI-0" # or whatever yours is
        Option "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
EndSection

I intend to try this today, and will post back to let you know how it
goes.
Interestingly enough, XP picks up the correct information through the
kvm switch, and so did my previous versions of Ubuntu.

regards Chris the kiwi