10.04 Release

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 22 00:56:08 UTC 2010

On 06/21/2010 04:52 PM, John Graddy wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 18:26 -0400, jack wallen wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 17:15 -0400, John Graddy wrote:
>> > I recently upgraded my System-76 laptop.  I used the on-line update and
>> > all went smoothly.
>> >
>> > Later, I downloaded the 32 bit version of 10.04 from the Ubuntu site and
>> > installed Lucid in a dual boot configuration with an existing windows
>> > desktop system.
>> >
>> > Java applets work fine on the laptop.  However, there is no trace of
>> > Java on the desktop system.  I have read the Lucid release notes
>> > concerning openjdk-6 but didn't find it helpful.
>> > Is there a way to get java applets working again?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> If you're looking to get java installed on Ubuntu 10.04, you could read
>> my how-to on Ghacks.net:
>>
>> http://www.ghacks.net/2010/05/21/install-java-on-ubuntu-10-04/
>>

>> jack wallen
>> Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign
>> every time I open my mouth? Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm
>> sign?
>> Linux uptime: 18:25:58 up 2 days, 9:43, 1 user, load average: 1.73,
>> 1.31, 1.00
>>

> Maybe I need to clarify.  I have been using the website
> http://radar.weather.gov through several releases of Ubuntu.  This site
> includes the ability to zero in on a map location and get a loop of the
> weather in that location (including storm warnings).  That capability is
> implemented using Java.  Since I live in a thunder storm and tornado
> prone area, I would like to continue to have this capability.
>
> My first thought was that I needed the java 6 package.  Perhaps that is
> not the case.  what i really NEED is the capability (that was
> implemented via Java) that I had before I installed Lucid.   If that can
> only be accomplished by installing java-6, then that is what I need.  If
> I can accomplish the same thing some other way, then that would be
> totally acceptable.
>
> Thanks to all who have responded so far, and, if I have mislead anyone
> on what is needed, I apologize.

No need to apologize. To view the site you only need javascript, to loop
you do need java. Example:

<http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=LBB&product=N0S&overlay=11101111&loop=yes>

Install java6 per the instructions I've provided you & then restart your
browser. Look in the Add-on's/plugins to ensure that you have java
installed & test by going to:

1. Open the brower to http://java.com/en/
2. Click on the 'Do I have Java' link directly below the "Free Java
Download" button.
3. On http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp click on the "Veryify
Java version" button & let it verify that you have: (Version 6 Update 20)."