10.04 Release

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Mon Jun 21 23:52:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 18:26 -0400, jack wallen wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 17:15 -0400, John Graddy wrote:
> > I recently upgraded my System-76 laptop.  I used the on-line update and
> > all went smoothly.
> >
> > Later, I downloaded the 32 bit version of 10.04 from the Ubuntu site and
> > installed Lucid in a dual boot configuration with an existing windows
> > desktop system.
> >
> > Java applets work fine on the laptop.  However, there is no trace of
> > Java on the desktop system.  I have read the Lucid release notes
> > concerning openjdk-6 but didn't find it helpful.
> > Is there a way to get java applets working again?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> If you're looking to get java installed on Ubuntu 10.04, you could read
> my how-to on Ghacks.net:
>
> http://www.ghacks.net/2010/05/21/install-java-on-ubuntu-10-04/
>

> jack wallen
> Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign
> every time I open my mouth? Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm
> sign?
> Linux uptime: 18:25:58 up 2 days, 9:43, 1 user, load average: 1.73,
> 1.31, 1.00

Maybe I need to clarify.  I have been using the website
http://radar.weather.gov through several releases of Ubuntu.  This site
includes the ability to zero in on a map location and get a loop of the
weather in that location (including storm warnings).  That capability is
implemented using Java.  Since I live in a thunder storm and tornado
prone area, I would like to continue to have this capability.

My first thought was that I needed the java 6 package.  Perhaps that is
not the case.  what i really NEED is the capability (that was
implemented via Java) that I had before I installed Lucid.   If that can
only be accomplished by installing java-6, then that is what I need.  If
I can accomplish the same thing some other way, then that would be
totally acceptable.

Thanks to all who have responded so far, and, if I have mislead anyone
on what is needed, I apologize.

Thanks,
John