Windows have no controls or title bar after upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 21:52:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 20:59 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 20:56 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:

> > > I think it is trying to use the gtk decorator. I installed emerald and
> > > the fusion thing, but do not understand how to access it - I don't see
> > > it any where.
> > >
> > > I tried running 10.04 from the livecd before upgrading. Everything
> > > worked fine, the window decorations showed up. So I'm not sure what the
> > > problem is.
> > >

> > This is all related to this bug
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/467668
> >
> > and the bugs shown as duplicates of it.
> >
> > However the effect seems to be different for different people.  I cured
> > the lack of window 'decoration' by simply re-naming ~/.compiz to
> > ~/.compiz.old and ~/.config/gnome.session to ~/.config/gnome.session.old
> > and restarting. But I don't use compiz at all and I know this is not a
> > fix for everyone with this problem.
> >
> > Like you I did not have any problems with a live USB.  After upgrade, I
> > couldn't boot at all, so I did a re-install of Lucid keeping my home
> > folder.
> >
> > Tony
> >

> Thanks for the info. First, I created a new user account and then logged
> into it. The window controls in the new account have the decorations. So
> I logged back into my main account and renamed as you suggested. I
> logged out and then back in but still no decoration.  The files (or
> directories) were not re-created. I'm going to try re-booting.

I'm not surprised that it did nothing to help you.  Re-booting may do
the trick.  But as I said, its not a fix for everyone.  What I might
suggest is you set System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects
to None (ie disable compiz) and reboot.  See if that keeps reverting to
Normal.  This was a symptom I had that was also fixed for me by doing
those renames.  If you are successful in curing to problem, do report
back on the bug.  They need all the help they can get to track down what
the problem is.

Tony