Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 21 13:02:41 UTC 2010

On 21/06/10 21:32, Calcpage wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2010, at 12:07 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
> wrote:
>

>> On 18/06/10 19:59, Calcpage wrote:

>>> Thanx, that's a good idea.  However, the more real estate I record
>>> the
>>> longer it takes to render the video when I am done recording.  In
>>> fact, if you take a look at my 2nd recording, SAGE 102, on my YouTube
>>> channel, you will note that I reduced the desktop resolution for the
>>> same reason!
>>>
>>> See what you think of my 2nd recording ever using Linux:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009
>>>
>>> I also tweaked the mic settings a bit.
>>>

>> The sound is definitely better.
>>
>> Re the video. Both videos are 47.2MB big so from the viewers point of
>> view (no pun intended) both will take the same amount of time to
>> view/download. And keep in mind that to view either properly requires
>> both to be seen at full screen - reducing the resolution of your
>> recording may degrade the final quality of the picture and, of course,
>> is a very subjective assessment. I guess the obvious way to go is to
>> ask
>> your target audience for comments :-) . I was able to up the viewing
>> from the default of 360p to 720p resolution but I don't know what your
>> target audience can handle.
>>
>> Irrespective of anything, you got Ubuntu to do what you wanted and
>> this
>> surely deserves a good toast of at least a quart of the best :-)
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> BC
>>

> Wow, that's strange that both videos are now 47MB.  When I uploaded
> the first video it was around 40MB and the second was about 80MB.  I
> guess when YouTube processes them for HD and they change to format to
> *.flv that makes the files a bit more uniform?

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what YouTube - ie, Google - does with
the video uploads.

If you install the extension for Firefox called DownloadHelper it will
download the video(s) as *.flv files (no need to "convert" them) which
you can then view using most of the 'players' available in Ubuntu (I use
vlc but one can also set xine to view the files).

BC

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.