Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 11:32:47 UTC 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 12:07 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> On 18/06/10 19:59, Calcpage wrote:
>> On Jun 18, 2010, at 2:58 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
>> wrote:

>>> Firstly, it is nice to read such a Thank You, and great to read that
>>> you
>>> got the whole setup working.
>>>
>>> Secondly, the video looks great and well presented.
>>>
>>> Thirdly, a tiny suggestion for you to consider: you can get more
>>> screen
>>> area to play with if you hid the top panel of Ubuntu (right-click,
>>> Preferences, Autohide) and then also "lose" the top panels of
>>> Firefox
>>> (View, Toolbars) when you are making a recording. Just a
>>> thought.....
>>>
>>> BC
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>> Thanx, that's a good idea.  However, the more real estate I record
>> the
>> longer it takes to render the video when I am done recording.  In
>> fact, if you take a look at my 2nd recording, SAGE 102, on my YouTube
>> channel, you will note that I reduced the desktop resolution for the
>> same reason!
>>
>> See what you think of my 2nd recording ever using Linux:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009
>>
>> I also tweaked the mic settings a bit.
>>

> The sound is definitely better.
>
> Re the video. Both videos are 47.2MB big so from the viewers point of
> view (no pun intended) both will take the same amount of time to
> view/download. And keep in mind that to view either properly requires
> both to be seen at full screen - reducing the resolution of your
> recording may degrade the final quality of the picture and, of course,
> is a very subjective assessment. I guess the obvious way to go is to
> ask
> your target audience for comments :-) . I was able to up the viewing
> from the default of 360p to 720p resolution but I don't know what your
> target audience can handle.
>
> Irrespective of anything, you got Ubuntu to do what you wanted and
> this
> surely deserves a good toast of at least a quart of the best :-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> BC

Wow, that's strange that both videos are now 47MB.  When I uploaded
the first video it was around 40MB and the second was about 80MB.  I
guess when YouTube processes them for HD and they change to format to
*.flv that makes the files a bit more uniform?

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com