Networking w/o Network-mangler?

Donkey Hottie donkey at fred.pp.fi
Sun Jun 20 16:14:47 UTC 2010

I have Karmic-Koala under VirtualBox, and wired networking.

It has this NetworkManager, and it seems to fail. First thing after a
reboot is to restart network-manager. Hate that.

I'm more used to Debian, and it does not have anything like
NetworkManager, it just works.

Debian has /etc/network/interfaces and the network gets loaded after
that file. Ubuntu had nothing except lo interface there.

I purged network-manager, and added eth0 into /etc/network/interfaces,
but that was a miserable failure. No network.

How to get a wired network into Ubuntu without NetworkManager. I do not
want to manage any networks, I just want it up!

Had to restore the Ubuntu virtual machine from backup, as I somehow
could not even reinstall Network-Mangler from .iso, dunno why.

I do not have WiFi or anything like that, and I want to get rid of mangler.

--
Snow Day -- stay home.