setting up ftp and sftp servers

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Jun 20 11:02:52 UTC 2010

Goh Lip wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:18:31 -0700
> Johnneylee Rollins <johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Johnny,
>>> I have read that also somehwere but I use it >10 years and have
>>> never ahd any problem with it. I would like to know what the not
>>> safe aspect is. Of course don't publish it on the internet and have
>>> a very restricted user list (in my case only myself and root). I
>>> agree that username and password as security is not the safest
>>> access control, but in 99.9% of the case, using a strong and long
>>> enough password, it is safe. Joep
>>>
>> I wasn't talking secure from a hacking protection, I mean from a
>> software development point of view. Last time I looked, it wasn't
>> quite up to speed with 10.04. Here is a quote from the IRC bot for
>> Ubuntu's IRC channels:
>> /msg -FreeNode ubottu webmin
>> [ubottu(~ubottu at ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] webmin is no longer supported in
>> Debian and Ubuntu. It is not compatible with the way that Ubuntu
>> packages handle configuration files, and is likely to cause unexpected
>> issues with your system. See !ebox instead.
>> /msg -FreeNode ubottu ebox
>> [ubottu(~ubottu at ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] ebox is a web-based GUI interface
>> for administering a server. It is designed to work with Ubuntu/Debian
>> style configuration management. See
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/eBox
>>
>> I hope this helps a bit.
>>
>> ~SpaceGhost
>

> Further to add...
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebMin
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/2873
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2006/01/msg00124.html
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

Goh Lip,
I read the bug reports but other than "..to remove this crap.." no
reasonable explanation is given other than".. the config files do not
comply with Debian standards ..( or wording to that effect).
If Pulseaudio is well within the Debian standards I think the Debian
developers have no idea how to comply to real well written standards
which, moreover, I cannot find.
Joep