Why Firefox does google search unwanted? addons, "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.9rc2"? ; jor Ubuntu

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Jun 19 22:36:02 UTC 2010

Why is firefox doing google searches without me asking for that?

Is it because of the "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.9rc2",
which comes installed in my browser automatically?

What is _in_ "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.9rc2"?
Where is this documented?
Is there some obvious place where someone should be able to think of without asking to look to find that documentation?

Firefox 3.6.3 on KUbuntu 10.4

==  The unasked for google search:
When I type something into the URL address bar on Firefox that isn't a proper URL, and hit enter, it returns a google search on that item.

That is very _undesired_ behavior.

Is this something I could have set up accidentally?
Is it perhaps because of some FF addon I installed?
Is it cause of "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.9rc2"?

Moreover, where is the
Firefox > Edit > Preferences
selection to show what options are set for firefox search??
That would seem to be both:
1) necessary to have, &
2) the logical place to find such settings.

==
I see there is a "show search suggestions" check box, which is checked, on the popup dialog box from clicking on the drop down arrow in the search box near the top of the FF screeen.  What is the "show search suggestions" about?

Could that be what is causing non urls in the url area to do a google search?

==  Thanks.