TOR and Firefox

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Sat Jun 19 18:55:32 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM, ssc1478 <ssc1478 at aim.com> wrote:

> I was reading about TOR https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor and
> thought I would try it out.
>
> I installed TOR using the TOR repo.  It is running (along with polipo)
> and works with Chrome.  But I can't get it to work with Firefox 3.6.3.
>
> I think Firefox is blocking non standard ports because I also can't
> get to the polipo config (with TOR disabled) at this address:
> http://localhost:8123/polipo/config?  I have no problem getting to it
> using Chrome.
>
> An error message displays that says this:
> " This address is restricted  This address uses a network port which
> is normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. Firefox has
> canceled the request for your protection."
>
> Does anyone know if Firefox blocks non-standard ports, and if so how
> to make changes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

Open Firefox, and an the address bar, type *about:config* and hit enter. It
will bring up a registry-style configuration editor. Right-click anywhere on
the config and select *New -> String*. It will pop up a dialog box asking
your for the name. Type *network.security.ports.banned.override* then hit
enter. Then, when asked for the value, type the port numbers you wish to
access, separated by commas, eg. *95,113* and hit enter again.

--
Gilles Gravier - Gilles at Gravier.org
Using Google Apps web mail