upgrade to 10.4 and 2nd network interface does not auto start

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 18:09:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 01:54:37PM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:37:28PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 07:10, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> > > I just upgraded a machine from 9.04 to 10.04 and now the 2nd network
> > > interface s not brought up, when I boot the machine. If I manually run
> > > /etc/init.d/networking restart, after the machine is up, ?it comes up.
> > > Both interfaces are hardwired.
> >
> > I solved all my network problems by installing wicd and removing
> > network manager (in that order).
>
> Does that package manage networks _before_ a user logs in? This is a basic
> design flaw in network amanger as far as I can tell.

Well, doing this:

update-rc.d NetworkManager remove

Which should prevent network manager from starting, still esults in only
eht0 being brought up on boot. Bit if I do /etc/init.d/networking restart,
both are brought up.

Any sugestions? It's pretty unaceptable to have the networking not come up
on an unatended reboot!