Resolved: Ran updates,now grub messed up.

Edwin McGuire mcguiresmain at emypeople.com
Fri Jun 18 17:25:03 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Law" <clanlaw at googlemail.com>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: Resolved: Ran updates,now grub messed up.

> On 18 June 2010 15:46, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:

>>> .> How do i fix the default OS. It used to default to XP before upgrade.
>>> I cant seem to change menu.lst,seems it wont save after i change file.
>>> Thanks again
>>> Ed
>>
>> Sorry too for not understanding.
>> Ed, you're on grub2 now, there is no more menu.lst; the new replacement
>> is
>> grub.cfg at /boot/grub/. It is not as easy just to change that like in
>> menu.lst. But it can be done. I will outline a longer but simpler way to
>> do what you wanted.
>> But I am on kde, not gnome, so I will try to use 'common' not specific
>> words to describe.
>
> I think in an earlier post he said he is still on grub 1.97.
> Ed, how are you attempting to edit menu.lst?  You have to do it with
> sudo so that you have permission to save it.
> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>

>> Go to /etc/grub.d
>> Make a terminal there
>> $ sudo cp 40_custom 07_mefirst
>> copy entry contents of Windows at 30_os-prober to new 07_mefirst
>> directory
>> save, exit
>> at terminal
>> $ sudo update-grub
>
> If using grub2 then I think there is a simpler way to change the
> default boot.  Edit the cfg file
> sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
> and change the value of GRUB_DEFAULT to the one you want (the first
> one is value 0). Then
> sudo update-grub
> It does need to be re-done if a new kernel is installed as the number
> will change.
>
> Colin

Yes 1.97 ver.Grub
I  probably tried to edit the wrong way, still trying to learn CLI. makes
more sense the more i read this Forum.
I opened a file manager went to /boot/grub/menu.lst clicked on it,it opened
an editor (not sure which one) made changes to default # OS then save,but
didnt work as you well know. and i will try CLI.
I really do want to learn more about using CLI. any sugestions,dont see much
in Help system on my "Task bar" ?
Thanks again for the much needed guidance.
Ed