Resolved: Ran updates,now grub messed up.

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Jun 18 14:46:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:33:08 +0800, Edwin McGuire
<mcguiresmain at emypeople.com> wrote:

>>  Sorry for leading you astray. just meant that Grub menu loads.
> .> How do i fix the default OS. It used to default to XP before upgrade.
> I cant seem to change menu.lst,seems it wont save after i change file.
>  Thanks again
> Ed

Sorry too for not understanding.
Ed, you're on grub2 now, there is no more menu.lst; the new replacement is
grub.cfg at /boot/grub/. It is not as easy just to change that like in
menu.lst. But it can be done. I will outline a longer but simpler way to
do what you wanted.
But I am on kde, not gnome, so I will try to use 'common' not specific
words to describe.

Go to /etc/grub.d
Make a terminal there
$ sudo cp 40_custom 07_mefirst
copy entry contents of Windows at 30_os-prober to new 07_mefirst directory
save, exit
at terminal
$ sudo update-grub

Good luck, Ed. Regards - Goh Lip