Manual fan spped control?

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 13:54:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 03:46:13PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > I have a Sun U40, which is crashing intermitantly while working hard.
> > I watched it do this yesterday, and it seems to me that it is just
> > plain overheeating. The fabs were not speeding up, evne though the
> > machine kept getting hotter, and hotter.
> >
> > For now, I have just gone into the BIOS and set them at max, but this
> > makes it even louder in the room with the machine. I know whne this
> > laod spike is gong to occur, and it is at night when no one is in
> > the rook`m.
> >
> > Is there a way to amnaully hange the fan speeds?
>
> Have a look at the package "fancontrol".

Thanks.

root at amanda:~# apt-get install fancontrol
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
fancontrol is already the newest version.
fancontrol set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

What does set to be manually installed mean?