Manual fan spped control?

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 13:06:54 UTC 2010

I have a Sun U40, which is crashing intermitantly while working hard. I
watched it do this yesterday, and it seems to me that it is just plain
overheeating. The fabs were not speeding up, evne though the machine kept
getting hotter, and hotter.

For now, I have just gone into the BIOS and set them at max, but this makes
it even louder in the room with the machine. I know whne this laod spike is
gong to occur, and it is at night when no one is in the rook`m.

Is there a way to amnaully hange the fan speeds?