MySQL password

Mike McMullin mmcmullin at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 17 21:09:04 UTC 2010

On June 17, 2010 08:43:42 am R Kimber wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:54:31 -0400
>
> Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > > /usr/sbin/mysqld is running
> > > When I try /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password
> > > newpassword-that-isn't-NO I get:-
> > > /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> > > error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
> > >
> > > I'd be grateful for advice.
> >
> > I would try a sudo with that. Which seems to work on 9.10.
>
> Thanks, but I did try sudo.  I also tried becoming root and doing it as
> root (without the sudo), with the same result.

Simple answer is that you are giving it the wrong password, which leads me to
ask (no I didn't follow the thread) what are you trying to accomplish?  I've
gone around and around on this getting myth-tv setup.  BTW, it is bad
security, but writing these pass words down someplace is a great help, one
that you learn the hard way.  ;)