Installing tar.bz2 help

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Jun 17 20:11:51 UTC 2010

On 06/17/2010 02:54 PM, chris wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 09:35 -0400, J wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:20, Aart Koelewijn<aart at mtack.xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>>
>>> If this is the type of connection OP has, I might try to find more
>>> information in old literature and try to find out if such a protocol is
>>> still supported.
>>>
>> Not so weird 15 - 20 years ago.  I wasn't trying to be flippant, by
>> the way... This is just the first time since... about 1990 or so that
>> I've heard of anyone who has that type of dial-in account. Granted, I
>> don't know where the OP lives, so all I can speak to is the US, but
>> the last dial-up account I had was for full internet usage at US
>> $7/month.  So I was just kind of thrown by that response...
>>
>> Nostalgically, I find that the concept, in this day of mass broadband
>> availability to be a fascinating anachronism. I really didn't know
>> that you can still get those kinds of usage accounts any more.  Heck,
>> even my cell phone gets full internet connectivity, even though the
>> apps mostly suck.
>>
>> Anyway, it's certainly interesting to learn about these things (or at
>> least to learn that they are still out there).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jeff
>>

> Depends where you live.  In outback NZ that is all you can get.
> cheers the kiwi

In our neck of the boonies in central Oklahoma about ll that's available
is dial up unless your fortunate and have a wireless broadband provider
handy. we still pay for our dial up account to keep our e-mail accounts,
and a couple other reasons, but use a wireless broadband connection for
everything. Right now we are at 1.5Meg both directions soon to get
upgraded to 10Meg. Told our provider we were going to have to get seat
belts for our desk chairs. Sad thing is that most of the download
servers can only manage about 60 or 70 KS speeds and less when they are
busy, like right after a new release.

--
Vy iz der not zo many Orziz az der iz Orziz azziz