Installing tar.bz2 help

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Jun 17 15:22:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, June 17, 2010 15:35, J wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:20, Aart Koelewijn <aart at mtack.xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>> If this is the type of connection OP has, I might try to find more
>> information in old literature and try to find out if such a protocol is
>> still supported.
>
> Not so weird 15 - 20 years ago.  I wasn't trying to be flippant, by
> the way... This is just the first time since... about 1990 or so that
> I've heard of anyone who has that type of dial-in account. Granted, I
> don't know where the OP lives, so all I can speak to is the US, but
> the last dial-up account I had was for full internet usage at US
> $7/month.  So I was just kind of thrown by that response...

I don't know where he lives either, but his ISP is located in Lebanon,
Pennsylvania, USA. I have looked up the city and county Lebanon on
Wikipedia to get some superficial information.

> Nostalgically, I find that the concept, in this day of mass broadband
> availability to be a fascinating anachronism. I really didn't know
> that you can still get those kinds of usage accounts any more.  Heck,
> even my cell phone gets full internet connectivity, even though the
> apps mostly suck.

I don't know anything about broadband in the USA. Perhaps there is only
mass broadband in the big cities on the east- and west coast? Dunno.