ubuntu + oscar clusters?

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Thu Jun 17 12:45:03 UTC 2010

On Jun 6, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Rollins <johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM,  <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:
>> I am wondering if anyone out there has experience setting up an OSCAR
>> cluster over Ubuntu?  See
>> http://svn.oscar.openclustergroup.org/trac/oscar
>>
>> OSCAR is a clustering bundle built around openMPI that can be
>> installed
>> on top of your current distro.  I haven't tried it, but it looks
>> interesting.  I recently tried using
>> http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress which automates the install
>> process by taking over the whole partition table on each node of the
>> cluster installing some sort of paired down version of RHEL like
>> CentOS.  Rocks has a lot of other restrictions like making eth0
>> private
>> and eth1 public.  I just can't get into it!
>>
>> So, now that I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on 25 dual-core AMD
>> Athons, I thought I could try out OSCAR instead.  I'd like to get an
>> hdd installed cluster that acts something like the pelicanHPC CD
>> which
>> uses openMPI+MPITB+Octave to write parallel code in Octave (like
>> MATLAB).
>>
> The almighty Google reveals http://indivica.com/?page_id=123 among a
> whole slew of others.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  The link you gave was for
setting up High Availability Cluster to maintain a database of
patients at a hospital.

What I want to do is set up a High Performance Cluster for math and
science related number crunching and some graphics (fractals, ray
tracings, animation, etc).

Please don't send me links, I can search the web myself.  I am
wondering if anyone on this mailing list has had experience setting up
such a cluster using Ubuntu.

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com