monitor resolution issue Ubuntu lucid (gnomeDesktop)

chris chevhq at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 04:08:22 UTC 2010

Greetings,
I have been running ubuntu 8.04, for several years on an HP p4
workstation.
Graphics card Saphire Radeon x300 series.
Viewsonic monitor at 1600x1200 resolution.  No issues at all with the
graphics using the fglx driver

Since upgrading? to lucid 10.04, I cannot get any screen resolution
above 1200x1024.

I have installed the same driver via at-get install etc.  No difference.
The ati Driver for this card will not even install.  (Downloaded twice
onto different machines just to make sure the download was not
corrupted.
How can I   get this screen resolution back to the native 1600x1200?
Have tried the xandr new mode etc, but with no result.

Help greatly appreciated

regards
Chris T