How to hide a second IBus icon

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Thu Jun 17 01:11:57 UTC 2010

Yesterday I noticed, that the IBus daemon does not start automatically
and solved this problem by referring to
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8528382

However, now the computer ALWAYS shows an IBus icon (a little keyboard)
in the top panel next to the network manager
AND
a white rectangular space with a similar tiny keyboard in it in the
right lower corner of the screen (which was NOT there after the my
Whenever I use the Japanese input method, it displays the relevant tools.
That is nice, but in the way.
Is there any way to hide this icon/tool bar (in Windows you can hide a
similar thing in the "system tray" (or whatever that is called).

System -> Preferences -> IBus Preferences:
* Show icon on system tray (top right corner)
* Show input method name on language bar
Turning these things ON/OFF does not do the trick.

Is there a way to turn this icon of or hide it?
Because it always stays on top and if there is some text in that corner,
it blocks the text.
Decidedly inconvenient!