Buying a NAS or building

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 16:46:20 UTC 2010

On 15 June 2010 23:44, Leo Noordhuizen <leo.noordhuizen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am worried that the low end (and lower price) NAS systems will not perform
> well, but the better and rather high priced systems are probably more
> expensive as a system built by myself with good components.
> Are there people who had the same question and decided on one or the other
> ?

I went the build your own route but that was most appropriate for me;
I wanted redundancy (I have a software RAID 6) and expandability, I
have just recently expanded to 4.5TBs of usable space. My box ticks
over at about 140 watts and its just a bog standard Cor2Duo 2.0Ghz,
2GB 800Mhz ram and 7x1TB SATA I drives but it has cost me about £450
to build because I use it has a home server and media pc so it has a
GT240 in it and 2xSoundBlaster Audigy 2's.

If your threshold is somewhere below that then you can drop the
graphics card, sound cards, 1GB of ram and the processor down (and the
drives if you need less storage), which altogether would probably cut
the price in half?

--
Regards,
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and 9 others...?