Locked admin directory ???

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 16 06:08:34 UTC 2010

On 15/06/10 11:21, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 02:48 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> You're welcome, but rebooting to fix a problem isn't really the nix way.
>>>

>> Well, TomH, I have found that while it "isn't really the nix way" of
>> resolving problems, it is the Linux way of resolving some problems -
>> which seems to be now following the MS-way.
>>
>> Only last night I had made an alteration to a Main Menu setting only to
>> find that the new item I added to the Menu did not appear. Only
>> rebooting made the new item appear.
>>
> In the future:
>
> $ sudo update-menus

Thanks, now entered in my "little black book" for future reference.

> and if that doesn't work,
>
> $ killall gnome-panel
> (assuming that you are running gnome).

Wouldn't run anything else now....

But, although both of your suggestions are obviously proper 'fixes' to
overcome this lill hassle, basically all they are doing is, in one way
or another, simulating a reboot (or possibly even a 'logout/switch
user'). My basic statement that what Linux stores in RAM has to be
replaced so that the new settings can be used is not an accurate statement?

BC

--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
                                            James Madison