[Network not working] was Re: problemas de acceso al internet

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil1001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 02:50:45 UTC 2010

see below.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 19:42, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 06/12/2010 12:09 PM, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> > Oh sorry!!! sometimes I forget in which language I write, One is so
> imbued
> > in the writing and thinking. Sorry. Here folloes an translation of the
> > posting into english:
> > I write from a friends machine. From today I cannot access to web pages,
> > neither use skype , from my machine (ubuntu 10.04 up-to-date), while this
> > functiones without problem yesterday. All the neighboring offices do not
> > have problems, except if take my machine to their office it does not
> work.
> > So it must be my machine.  Other strange datus is that using the system
> > monitor, the statistics of packages sendt and received are both
> positive!!!
> > I booted also the machine from various live cd(vdd), like knoppix, doesnt
> > work then either.
> > So I`m stuck. I also iniciated the machine with various old kernels, same
> > problem. Any ideas???
> >

> Sounds as if it might be a possible hardware problem. But first:
>
> 1. When you say that the network isn't working, are you speaking of a
> hardwire or wifi connection?

      Neither is working. But that wifi is not working is an old problem,
the hardwire not working is new.

> 2. Please provide the output of:
>
> $ ifconfig

Here it is:

kjetil at familien:~$ sudo ifconfig
[sudo] password for kjetil:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1e:68:87:4a:4a
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:27

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1200 (1.2 KB)  TX bytes:1200 (1.2 KB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1f:e2:c9:3d:03
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

kjetil at familien:~$

(but note ythat this is from today, when the machine has no internet cable,
nor wifi. Not even non-working ones)

> 3. Have a look at:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
> and
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7
> to see if either of those help you.
>
> Will try.

I should mention that I changed to wicd, which under ythe old ububnt 9.10
seemt to be betyter. But on my 64bit partition I have the default, but same
probkem.

Kjetil

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make
empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have
made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in
the bonds of Hell.

St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37