which packages to install to compile kernel modules?

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Jun 14 18:39:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:26:49 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i'm still feeling my way around ubuntu so what is/are the package(s) i
> need to have installed in order to compile a simple kernel module? in
> other words, what package(s) will give me the essential part of the
> kernel source tree corresponding to the current kernel against which i
> can compile that module?
>
>   a quick perusal suggests the package
> linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic, which provides the content under the
> corresponding /usr/src directory.  is that it?

linux-headers-generic. This is a metapackage which always depends on the
lastest version of the generic kernel headers available. It's part of the
default installation. You also need the development tools depended upon
by the build-essential metapackage. The build-essential packages are not
installed by default, but they are included with the installation CD
(live and alternate) so they can be installed offline.
--
sktsee