Ubuntu amd64 freezes randomly

pete peter.smout at o2.com
Mon Jun 14 13:02:36 UTC 2010

On 13/06/10 20:51, Aaron wrote:
> Cool.
>
> First try running the "Appearance" tool and disable the visual effects,
> if it still crashes then:
>
> What driver are you using? You may want to install the latest fglrx
> drivers by:
>
> 1. Going to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx.
> 2. Save the driver to its own folder (make the file executable).
> 3. Open a terminal window and change to that directory. For example:
>           cd '/home/yourlogin/Downloads/thefolderthatyoumade'
> 4. Then make the driver packages by running this command:
>           sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-5-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
> Ubuntu/lucid
>       It takes about 5 minutes and my PC and will install some packages
> to compile the             driver.
> 5. Run the following command the install the packages that were made in
> step 4:
>       sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> 6. Run the following command to make sure the new driver is used once
> your laptop is rebooted:
>       sudo aticonfig --initial
> 7. Finally run the "Appearance" tool and disable the visual effects (It
> is automatically enabled when you install the driver).

Hi,
I experienced a similar issue on karmic 9.10 shortly before the m-board
gave out completely!

Having said that re-installing ubuntu-minimal through synaptic seem to
resolve the issue, at least until the m-board gave out two weeks later!

The only reason I mention my own issue here is although not a really
experienced user, like some on this list (many thanks to you all I have
learnt so much from you all!) the issue could well be a 'early warning'
of further hassles to come!

Good luck,

Pete