broken ssh

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Jun 13 22:05:37 UTC 2010

Mark C. Miller wrote:
> On 06/13/2010 05:36 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Mark C. Miller wrote:
> >> How do I edit that file:
> >>
> >> I tried this
> >>
> >> root at eyore:~# gedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >>
> >> and got thisd
> >
> >> (gedit:26046): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> > Usually root has no permission to access the display of a normal
> > user. Therefore you need gksu to give root permission. As a normal
> > user try this:
> >
> > gksu gedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >

> > Nils
> >
> >not much difference in the result
>
> mark at eyore:~$ gksu gedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> (gksu:26494): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Hmm, strange. I'm not sure if that would be a problem but could it be
that you ssh to that machine and your login on that machine is different
from the login on the local machine? If that is the reason, I don't know
how to get access to the local display anyway. I would just use a CLI
editor like nano:

sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Nils