Ubuntu amd64 freezes randomly
soulblade at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 13 19:51:12 UTC 2010
First try running the "Appearance" tool and disable the visual effects,
if it still crashes then:
What driver are you using? You may want to install the latest fglrx
1. Going to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx.
2. Save the driver to its own folder (make the file executable).
3. Open a terminal window and change to that directory. For example:
4. Then make the driver packages by running this command:
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-5-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
It takes about 5 minutes and my PC and will install some packages
to compile the driver.
5. Run the following command the install the packages that were made in
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
6. Run the following command to make sure the new driver is used once
your laptop is rebooted:
sudo aticonfig --initial
7. Finally run the "Appearance" tool and disable the visual effects (It
is automatically enabled when you install the driver).
More information about the ubuntu-users