Locked admin directory ???

Larry larryesu at charter.net
Sun Jun 13 15:13:29 UTC 2010

On 06/13/2010 09:48 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 14/06/10 00:13, Larry wrote:

>>> You have to be root or use sudo.
>>>

>> *Thanks, but I no that, when using apt-get or synaptic etc...But the
>> problem that I am having is I can not use either apt-get or synaptic
>> because something has it locked, why or what I have no-idea...This is
>> what I am trying to find out... ;-)
>>
>> Thanks again Larry
>>

> Sounds like apt-get/synaptic is still trying to complete its work but is
> stuck and therefore is 'locked' until it completes its task.
>
> Do you reboot your computer or is it running 24/7? Rebooting may clear
> this lock. The easiest is to do the following otherwise one would need
> to go and find the "!lock" which is locking apt-get/synaptic - and I
> don't know where this could be without searching for it. (If you are
> using Firefox or Thunderbird you will find "!lock" in the /.FF or TB
> directory when either one is actually active.)
>
> Otherwise, at terminal do "sudo ps aux" and look to see which PID the
> still running apt-get or synaptic has been assigned (which is causing
> the lock)...and kill it (you know how don't you? with "kill xxxxx" or if
> it doesn't want to get deaded then use apocalyptic "kill -9 xxxxx" where
> "xxxxx" is the PID number of the still running apt-get/synaptic. Just
> make sure that you use the right PID number, and don't mistype it :-) .)
>
> BC

*Ok fella's, I am right now downloading Ultimate Edition 2.7, and one
does not need to be root, so I looked at ps aux, and don't see anything
either...My last resort is to reboot, to see if that will fix the locked
state...But not until my download has finished...

I'll let you know afterwards...

Thanks for the replies... ;-)

Larry
*