Locked admin directory ???

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Jun 13 14:45:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:30:58 -0500
Larry <larryesu at charter.net> wrote:

> I have a problem with not being able to install or even use apt-get
> because I keep getting this...
>

> Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource
> temporarily unavailable)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
> another process using it?
>
> Does anyone know how to kill this processor that seems to be still
> open...???

Could be a couple of reasons...
Your system is currently being updated automatically in the background,
(I am on kde, so I don't know the gnome version of what that is
called); usual to wait a few minutes to try again.  But, if you say
that is persistent and always the case, then it is most likely a result
of uncompleted previous updates. Then do this at terminal...
sudo dpkg --configure -a

If that doesn't help, it's okay to just delete the lock at
/var/lib/dpkg/   and try again to update/upgrade; but please do the
"sudo dpkg --configure -a" first.

Regards - Goh Lip