Ubuntu amd64 freezes randomly

Aaron soulblade at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 13 13:21:21 UTC 2010

On 13/06/10 08:58, Daniel wrote:
> Hello, I have a very strange problem regarding my ubuntu laptop.
> Randomly it freezes and by this I mean everything freezes, sound,
> video, mouse cursor. I am not able to do anything(any key
> combinations, anything). Why is this happening, how can I debug it and
> fix this problem? I'm running ubuntu amd64 on my dell inspiron 1545.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
Have you checked to see of the laptop is clogged with dust. I have seen
a few computers that have been crashing due to the warmer weather recently.

You may want to try lm_sensors. Its a tool that will help you monitor
the temperature of your CPU. If the temperature starts to creep past
70*C (158*F ?)  then your laptop is probably over heating.

Once overheating is eliminated, people may find it easier to find the
issue.