Ubuntu amd64 freezes randomly

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jun 13 08:04:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010, Daniel wrote:

> Hello, I have a very strange problem regarding my ubuntu laptop.
> Randomly it freezes and by this I mean everything freezes, sound,
> video, mouse cursor. I am not able to do anything(any key
> combinations, anything). Why is this happening, how can I debug it
> and fix this problem? I'm running ubuntu amd64 on my dell inspiron
> 1545.

  i've seen exactly the same thing on my gateway nv52 laptop, 64-bit
install with an athlon X2 QL-65 processor.  on a daily basis, it
simply hangs.  i've seen behaviour like this before elsewhere and it's
almost always a video driver problem.  on my system, lspci shows:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN
[Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]

  it's annoying but, even in this day and age, i've simply accepted
that video drivers under linux will never, ever be totally reliable.
i just live with it.

rday

        Top-notch, inexpensive online Linux/OSS/kernel courses:
                        http://crashcourse.ca