Upgrade from karmic to lucid breaks sound

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 12 18:49:29 UTC 2010

Well here is an interesting problem... I've been running both karmic and
lucid on the same laptop for some time. Last night I finally decided to
upgrade the main karmic partition to lucid as the lucid test partition
was down to only 3Gb of drive space left.

Upgraded via the network w/all updates & all seemed to go normal.
Obviously I had to reinstall a lot of things that lucid seems to want to
remove in favour of the 'simple' apps (cups-pdf, xsane, etc). I then
noticed that the sound icon was showing speaker--- meaning now sound.
Yep, lsmod shows no sound modules are being loaded. 'aplay -l' and
alsactl also show no soundcards found. However the card shows up in lspci.

- Booting into the new kernel (2.6.32-22-generic) on the karmic-lucid
upgrade: no sound modules loaded. And no asound folder under /proc.

- Booting into 2.6.31-21-generic (the karmic kernel) works (sound is
fine). /proc/asound is available.

- And of course booting into the lucid test partition works.
/proc/asound is available.

snd_hda_intel et al are not getting loaded in the kernel.

Now isn't this cute... I have to load
linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic in order to get the modules
loaded & sound working again. I reckon that I probably should file a new
bug, but there seem to be more than enough already filed for alsa & lucid:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver?field.searchtext=lucid&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>

Note: none of the above had anything to do with pulseaudio. Once the
_alsa_ drivers were loaded in the kernel, sound came back & pulseaudio
is working just fine across the rest of the network.