64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:08:18 UTC 2010

2010/6/10 Ioannis Vranos <cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr>:
> Today, I came across this description for 64-bit Ubuntu, at Ubuntu's
> site:
>
> "64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage".
>

> Why the 64-bit version is "not recommended for daily desktop usage"?

    It's probably not really true anymore.

    There are pro's and con's to 64bit. Flash used to be a problem, but there
  is now a 64bit version that works (which works OK for Flash standards).
  The executables are slightly larger (some constants are bigger) but they
  are also slightly faster (there are more registers available).

    All in all you would probably not notice the difference, except if you have
  >4GB (or even >64GB with PAE) memory

      Hope this helps,

           Loïc